At The Mindful Living Centre, we take a comprehensive approach to assessing your child’s areas of need, examining both psycho-educational and socio-emotional functioning. Scientifically validated measures are used to better understand any learning, emotional, social or behavioural difficulties your child may be experiencing. Prior to setting up an appointment, our Clinic Manager will ask you a few brief questions to understand the main concerns you wish to address through an assessment of your child. This will help your Psychologist select the most appropriate tools and measures available to assess your child, and to provide a quote for the assessment.
While we tailor each assessment to the child’s unique needs, the assessment process typically involves the following:
- An initial 1-hour meeting with parents (typically conducted virtually), to gain a more thorough understanding of the child’s areas of cognitive, academic, social, emotional and/or behavioural difficulty — questionnaires are usually provided at this meeting for parents and teachers to complete.
- 6 hours of in-person testing at our Milton office (typically scheduled as three 2-hr appointments), where the child completes a number of tests selected to answer specific questions you have about your child’s cognitive, academic and socio-emotional functioning. Information may also be gathered from collateral sources, such as teachers and other services providers.
A 1-hour feedback session with parents and child (typically conducted virtually), where we provide a comprehensive assessment report and review diagnoses
(if applicable) and recommendations for the child. This session provides an opportunity to discuss strategies for building on your child’s strengths and addressing their areas of difficulty. Specific, practical, individually-tailored recommendations are provided to help parents, teachers and other professionals work with your child in ways that will benefit their emotional health and maximize their likelihood of academic and social success.
**Comprehensive Psycho-eduational Assessments are also available to individuals aged 17-60.**
Psycho-educational Assessments with ASD add-on (ages 6-16 only)
Additional testing can be added when assessment for autism (ASD) is also requested, or in situations where the assessing Psychologist and parents determine, after an initial meeting, that it would be beneficial.
Gifted Testing for School Placement in Ontario (ages 6-16)
The assessment process for giftedness typically involves the following:
- A 2-hour in-person meeting that incorporates an initial brief interview with parents, followed by a testing session with the child (utilizing the WISC-V).
- A ½-hour feedback session scheduled approximately 1-2 weeks later (typically conducted virtually).
Adult ADHD Assessments (ages 17-60)
The process for adult ADHD assessments typically involves the following:
- A 2-hour in-person meeting that incorporates an initial brief interview, followed by a testing session.
- The provision of questionnaires to be completed at home by the subject and collaterals.
- A ½-hour feedback session scheduled approximately 2 weeks after all questionnaires have been returned (typically conducted virtually).
Our fees reflect the type of assessment you are seeking, and are based on an hourly rate honoured by most private health insurers.
Please reach out to our Administrative Team at email@example.com for details regarding fees and the billing process.